QE1 once sent an organ avec grinder but sans monkey to Sultan Mehmet, but I don’t think anything good came of it–at any rate, there’s not much Orlando Gibbons being played in Istanbul these days.
Biciclown, the excellent Álvaro Neil, is in Istanbul at the moment. Here’s one of his promotional videos:
And here’s de heer Jerónimo at BikeTech in Gracia, Barcelona putting together his latest bike:
This raises a number of existential questions:
- Do you want to make children happy and the world a better place?
Alarm and disgust are my contribution to society.
- Will your organ fit in a tent?
The jury’s well out on that one. Maybe, maybe not, so room for manoeuvre required.
- Can you live on €3 a day?
Dammit man, that’s only two beers.
- What are the implications for your revenue model?
No free gigs, except in places like markets and bars where food and drink and plump ladies are available in abundance. In fact, I’d rather like to be barrel organist to the Sultan of Somewhere, playing Orlando Gibbons of course.
- Anything else?
Er, no, that’s all for the moment.
[Did you know that Nero distressed the bombers by playing the hydraulis, a water-regulated organ, rather than the fiddle as Rome burned? Roman firemen were string enthusiasts–Mantovani, that kind of stuff. What the whole world wants to know: did [link used to go to the now-spamsite radio.weblogs.com/0100191/2002/06/20.html#a179]Byrne make it back OK?]
- The true story, never revealed, of the barrow organ
There’s more to this eggcorn than Somerset genius.
- Transvestite barrel organ dancers in 1930s Whitechapel and the 1860s London West End
With acrobats, clowns, and Doris and Thisbe, goddesses of wind.
- Magnificent French orgue de barbarie entertainer
He’s got a false arm, he’s a spoons virtuoso, he’s got a good hat, his monkey plays the violin. In short, a genius:
- He’s got a pole support and the organ strapped round his neck, like all the guys in Mexico DF. That’s fine, although I imagine it must cause back trouble, but I
- Gallery: antecedents, construction, arrival, outings
(See also the page with audio excerpts.)
20/03/2015 Here Comes The Sun, Pedralbes, Barcelona
Solar eclipse party for some people with excellent taste.
12/12/2014 The organ-grinder’s superkazoos go on sale
21/11/2014 First great work of art inspired by the organ
At primary school Escola Pau Romeva, Barcelona. There are also photos
The organ-grinder as a singing black hole
Photo by Jean-Marc Joseph.