Because there is a limit to the Catalan sausage with Jews one can consume, here’s the estimable Miguel Llorens on how US Facebook-bubble wannabes Pinterest have been trying, and failing, to get translation for free. On his blog, watch Sarah Tavel raft the five rivers of Hades, aka the dotbomb marketeer’s Five Stages of Beef™:
- Styx (the river of hate): Fuck off, we used pros.
- Kokytos (the river of lamentation): It’s my mum’s fault (but I love her).
- Phlegethon (the river of fire): I am not, nor have I ever been, your fellow-twitterer – just watch me delete.
- Akheron (the river of sorrow): Look, ignorami, “favoritos bloggers hispanohablantes” works in Latino but not in Peninsular Spanish. Honest! We’ll weep a couple of tears, but don’t expect a tsunami.
- Lethe (the river of forgetfulness): What a lovely day it is today! What a great proposition I have for you!
The layout of the Greek underworld may require adjustment, but so do all geographies: never trust a hippy, they say, so in terms of the poor getting poorer working for the rich getting richer, is it fair to say that its enthusiastic endorsement of crowdsourcing makes Harvard the new capital of global hippydom?
- Catalan sausage with Jews
In a comment on the sausage with Jews post, translation pro Mike Devlin links to photographic evidence of anti-Semitic cannibalism in a Barcelona restaurant, which also serves “squid to the iron” and other Spanish delicacies.
- Me speakee inglés
Money also drives translation projects, and only thieves and fools cost and conduct them in a way that lacks clear and defensible commercial goals. …
- Dutch words that sound obscene in English
- Cock/Kok: family name. Also kok: cook, coccus. Re David Cameron’s #piggate laddishness, British Labour MP Emily Thornberry has posted a pack of pickled smoked cut beef (not pork) marketed under a brand of Darwin Award-worthy stupidity, Cock’s Fresh. De Cock is the family name and the products are preserved, not fresh. If you tell a glowering
- Fear escape
From a Barcelona tech company, with offices on c/ Blames (or whatever it’s called), an emergency sign that people will actually read and remember:
Next him was Fire, all arm’d from