- Islas Canarias < Canariae Insulae. Pliny, Natural History:
We also learn from the same source that the people who inhabit the adjoining forests, which are full of all kinds of elephants, wild beasts, and serpents, have the name of Canarii; from the circumstance that they partake of their food in common with the canine race, and share with it the entrails of wild beasts.
- Canary Wharf < Islas Canarias. Survey of London:
a scheme for the West Wood Wharf was settled in 1936. A two-storey warehouse was built in 1937 to serve a berth with a new ‘false’ quay, all let to Fruit Lines Limited, a subsidiary of Fred Dessen & Company (whose principals were Fred Olsen & Company, of Oslo), for their Canary Islands and Mediterranean fruit trade. The warehouse was designed by Asa Binns and built by John Mowlem & Company. The whole project cost £86,694. Following a request from Fred Dessen & Company, the site was named Canary Wharf.
- Canary Wharf ∈ Isle of Dogs
- And so by coincidence or not, Isle of Dogs < Canariae Insulae. Unfortunately London’s Dogville has been called that way since at least the 16th century, when there is no known connection of the then unplace with the Canaries nor any reason for there to be one.
More bogus etymology here.
- Pirates and Kleinecke’s etymology of “pidgin”
It is suggested that an old Spanish slang word has nothing at all to do with Dutch pirates but instead adds weight to David Kleinecke’s generally discarded South American etymology of the word “pidgin”.
- London’s River Lea and Waltham Forest in Drayton’s 1622 Poly-Olbion
Now you see ’em, now you don’t.
- Mechanical musical instrument invented for the 1851 London Great Exhibition by Henry Mayhew
He also coined “flaxen Saxon.” With other absurdities.
- More experiments from the organ-grinder’s workshop
Videos of arrangements of Machito’s Bananas and Valencia, and a preview of a song about doggies.
- In praise of oranges
A First World War letter from a Palestinian orange grove, an orange (lower case) song, and this winter’s favourite orange cake recipe.