Walking home through Hackney this evening, I met a charity shop with a sign that read, “Donation’s welcome.”
“Are you sure about that?” I asked the proprietor.
“Donation is welcome,” he explained.
So “Apple’s £2 / kilo” means “Apple is two pounds a kilo,” there’s obviously a dialect singular / plural thing going on, and it’s just wannabe-worldly middle-class twats who focus on apostrophe misuse.
- Unlucky organ-grinder-ballad-singers
Kasper Lutz in German (occasionally), nameless in French and English?
- Toros: Finito de Córdoba indulta a ‘Organillero’, de Fuente Ymbro
Pros, contras, divagaciones.
- Hackney Brook restoration scheme
Iain Sinclair wrote of when “global warming rolls a warm sea [up] the course of the old Hackney Brook.” The flow’s going to be the other way. Let me explain.
- The street organ and the revolution
- The true story, never revealed, of the barrow organ
There’s more to this eggcorn than Somerset genius.