Anon enjoys juxtaposing the gibberish from the tourist body for the Catalan district containing Vic, Manlleu and Torelló:
Discover thepower ofcatalan land, close to Barcelona
… with news from Grup de Defensa del Ter that the average level of nitrates in tested springs in the area -vital for walkers- has increased over the past year from 64 to 78.7 mg/l; that there are peaks of 456.5 at Taradell, 353.4 at Santa Cecília de Voltregà, and 343.9 at Gurb; and that more than half of the springs exceed the WHO’s recommended limit of 50 for drinking water.
- GDT believes that politicians and civil servants are in hock to big business, which is to say pig business. (Aside: A Dutch gent who ships his pigs for fattening in Osona before returning them to Holland for slaughter says that the lack of environmental checks has a crucial impact on his pricing, and the effect on nose and eyes is often reminiscent of parts of Holland in the bad old days.) However, human water consumption is more than four times that of our snorty friends per head, so both sides may be hearing shortly from porcine rights activists.
- Anon suspects murderous xenophobia – “Let’s get ’em here, and poison ’em.” But then they’d have produced a decent translation, no?
- You already know what I think.
- Pilot overflows the Atlantic
Juan Manuel Durán y González (Jerez de la Frontera, 1899 – Barcelona, 1926). Aviator of the crew that flew from Seville to Buenos Aires in the aircraft called Plus Ultra, overflowing the Atlantic Ocean with seven stages between January 22, 1926, and February 10, 1926.
- People, fucked translation is our opium, let’s smoke it while we can
Various posts here have been devoted to encouraging fucked translation from Spanish as a brand differentiator, where linguistic sloth and incompetence transmit a sensation of cultural authenticity and other stuff I’m afraid I can’t remember, and don’t particularly care to.
For I suspect that most of you care very little for all that crap, and send …
- Artur Mas: only the filthy Spanish are stopping every Catalan owning a farm right now
In a number of posts (see below) I’ve suggested that rather than use cheap, crap human translators customers should consider free, often-not-so-crap machine translation, so it was only a matter of time before someone called my bluff.
- Shiteways Cider Company Ltd
The first phoneme of the subject of this splendid story by the Diario de Jerez appears to have colonised the first of the (long defunct) Whiteways Cider Co. Ltd., and they probably deserved it.
For Whiteways et al in 1966 sought a ruling allowing them to market as sherry beverages that used the Jerez process but that …