The Lenin-loving Joves Comunistes are the miniscule youth-wing of the increasingly insignificant alphabet soup of confused post-communists headed up by the bed-hopping Catalan regional interior councillor, Joan Saura, whose police force shot and almost killed the Barcelona municipal police chief last week. (“Youth” in Spanish leftist politics means anyone who wears jeans; most of them will probably die quite soon. But back to the chase.)
- the death of democratic republicanism,
- the ending of worker management,
- the persecution of dissident workers by the secret police,
- the mass killings during and after the first civil war,
- the forced assimilation into the RSFR of newly-independent Armenia, Georgia, and Azerbaijan and the suppression of regional culture,
- the mass slaughter and famine inflicted on peasants during collectivisation,
- opposition to anti-Semitism.
So are the comrades suffering from the political equivalent of the coprolalic variant of Tourette’s syndrome, a pathological need to épater les bourgeois? Or are they being paid promotional fees by the Yankee capitalists who erected a Lenin statue outside the astounding, the marvellous, the hypnotic Atlantic City casino?
Having a Che Guevara icon at home is stupid enough, but surely only a dumbarse Oaxacan teacher would worship Lenin.
- How many votes did it take to elect your councillor in the 2011 Catalan municipals?
The answer’s somewhere between 11 and 5,016. Time to merge small ayuntamientos?
- 74% say French-style rioting could happen here
See 20minutos. I thought we’d get trouble last year when, during what was allegedly a drugs raid, a member of the
- SOS Racismo: pro-Islam, indifferent to anti-Semitism
The French left’s anti-racism proxy appears to have lost control of its Spanish entity, which appears to have lost sight of
- Justo Bueno chiselled out of historical memory
The mysterious disappearance of an anarchist serial killer from the Catalan version of the Valle de los Caídos.
- A dangerous lack of a sense of his own absurdity
I know a quite considerable number of clever, balanced Italians, and I also believe that there are millions more out there.