Ray Girvan has come up with a story about Bismarck, the father of modern pathology, and a pair of sausages, I’m still quite pleased with the Catalan medieval exclusion of miraculous weapons, religious icons, and sugar candy (doping?) from judicial combat, while Baldick, whose standard work is extensively and incompetently plagiarised on the net, has inter alia:
- Corsicans stabbing each other with daggers affixed to the front of their helmets, recalling the forehead butting popular along the Black Sea littoral.
- A dwarf who demands that he and his huge Gascon opponent wear sharp-bladed collars, so that the latter will be unable to look down on him without decapitating himself.
- Cagliostro, who challenges a supposed quack to Russian roulette with pills (I suspect there’s something more interesting behind this).
- M Mellant, who kills M Lenfant at x paces with a red billiard ball in Seine-et-Oise in September 1843.
One of the subthreads to last night’s Zombieland (h/t G) was Woody Harrelson’s search for Twinkies, which I thought meant that he viewed them as a sugar-candy-type anti-zombie accessory and that he fancied Jesse Eisenberg. Unfortunately neither turned out to be true, but it’s hard to go wrong with zombies, and some scenes greatly pleased one’s inner 13-year-old. For example:
Unfortunately duelling pianos are rarely that satisfying.
- The fox and the cat, Mallorcan style
Belated congratulations to blogger/journalist Pere Marí, now being sociocultural for El Diario de Mallorca. He had an interesting piece last month
- Origins of the Flashman-Gully-Bismarck boxing scene
Sounds like MacDonald Fraser sourced it from a Phil-Alfie (Price)-Kaiser Bill incident in Devon. It’s fiction’s loss that GMF didn’t discover
- Esperanza Aguirre, the PP’s clown princess
With a bonus on the true reason behind Manuel Valls’ rejection of Catalan separatism.
- Fair’s fair
Catalonia Today is deservedly taking a beating, but it is worth recalling that for really bad English you should try “quality”
- ¡España británica!
Why impose disastrous Spanish policies on thriving Gibraltar when British colonisation of Spain would have so many advantages?