- Cock/Kok: family name. Also kok: cook, coccus. Re David Cameron’s #piggate laddishness, British Labour MP Emily Thornberry has posted a pack of pickled smoked cut beef (not pork) marketed under a brand of Darwin Award-worthy stupidity, Cock’s Fresh. De Cock is the family name and the products are preserved, not fresh. If you tell a glowering Antwerpian that filet d’Anvers / Antwerpse filet / Antwerp fillet is indistinguishable from any other carcinogenic cow you will not understand his response.
- Dik: fat. A Dutch GF -mainly good at hitting balls and running fast- went through an entire summer singing “Short dick man” in the belief that she was prejudiced against obese dwarves:
- Kont: bum.
- And so voort.
The Spanish take a perverse pride in the belief that their politicians are the least gifted linguists beyond the barnyard, but few Dutch politicians are anything but adequate in the language of the money-laundering capital of the world – surely a sign of their honesty. This leads to Dunglish (more). For example, fokken is to breed (animals). An old joke which all educated foreigners in Holland are told at least once a week relates a conversation between Prime Minister Joseph Luns and John F. Kennedy:
JFK: So what do you do for a hobby?
JL: I fok horses.
JL: Yes, paarden (horses).
Which brings us neatly back to the new joke about the leaders of both the UK’s major parties having been accused in the past week of having fucked a pig.
What was this blog about?
A friend who has had the pleasure (not Jess Phillips, leader of the Labour Party in 2016 and election-winner in 2025) tells me that Diane Abbott is a Weeble: knock her down and she gets up looking smug:
Appropriately there is a mistranslation right at the beginning of the Dunglish article: steenkool is coal; houtskool is charcoal.
- Wurst is German for sausage
Wrust is a Spanish speciality and a Botswanan all-black metal band: Did they intend to call themselves sausage? How strong is
- Joan de Son Rapinya: English lesson no. 1
There’s a clever name for phonetic language parodies which I have forgotten because it’s hot and I have been undergoing ye
- Brown Shit hair dye
Caca Marron: Solid Henna: Turn brown into amburn with a shine like fresh conkers: Vegan: Some of you will probably get off
- The economic vice, Elena Salgado, has traveled to London to soothe investor sentiment
Yep, but it‘s free, courtesy of Google Translate, and still substantially better than the work of many professional translators. It’s also
- The worst translator in the world? “Quoth she, so much I hate this nation, / I’ll damn this author in translation”
The London Magazine, 1734: Verses occasioned by Mr. Budgel’s modest Proposal, in the Daily Post-Boy of Aug. 31. to give the