Myddfai (parish), Carmarthenshire

Gramps ID P0108
Latitude 51.956160
Longitude -3.7879867
 
Alternate Names Language Date range in which the name is valid.
Mothvey
Mothney

Media

Narrative

"MOTHVEY (MYDDFAI), a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, in the union of LLANDOVERY, higher division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (S.) from Llandovery; containing 1073 inhabitants, of which number 476 are in the Upper, and 597 in the Lower, division. . . The surface is boldly undulated, and in some parts hilly and even mountainous; the lands, with the exception of a considerable portion of rocky and sterile ground, are inclosed and in a high state of cultivation . . . The luxuriant richness of the vales is finely contrasted with the rugged barrenness of the mountains; and the numerous rivers that flow through the lower grounds add greatly to the beauty of the scenery. . . A small woollen manufacture is carried on; and there are two king's mills in the parish, Kilgwyn and Brân, each of which pays a chief-rent of £2 to the lord of the manor, to whom also is paid a fee of ten shillings on the marriage of every freeholder, in lieu of the feudal custom of a first night's lodging with the bride . . . The church, dedicated to St. Michael . . . is an ancient structure, situated in a vale at the foot of the mountainous district . . . adorned with many handsome monuments and tablets. . . There are two places of worship for Independents, and one for Calvinistic Methodists. . . During the thirteenth century this place was much frequented by physicians, among whom was Rhiwallon . . . tradition affirms that his descendants continued to follow the practice of medecine in the parish till within the memory of persons living at the beginning of this century." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

 

 

Place Map

References

  1. Anne/Ann Jones [I0059]
  2. Elizabeth Jones [I0098]