Cefn Arthen (Calvinist chapel), Llanfair-ar-y-bryn (parish), Carmarthenshire

Gramps ID P0131
Latitude 52.001810
Longitude -3.6920794
Alternate Names Language Date range in which the name is valid.
Capel Cefn-Arthen
Enclosed By
Llanfair-ar-y-bryn (parish)
Place Encloses


Calvinist chapel.

2018 views show the 1854 chapel (which looks like a house from the road) with graveyard behind. http://daibach-welldigger.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-of-oldest-chapels-in-wales.html has photos: called Cefnarthen after the long ridge behind, valley is cul-de-sac and depopulated since army opened Mynydd Eppynt firing ranges in 1939.

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/6472/details/cefn-arthen: "The cause at Cefnarthen is one of the oldest in Wales, being established by Jenkin Jones of Llanigon as early as 1642 (the date commemorated on one of the two main door heads). After Jones and other members of the congregation were imprisoned in Carmarthen in 1660, they met in a cave on Craigyrwyddon, while the first chapel was built c.1689 after the passing of the 1688 Act of Toleration. In 1740 a part of the congregation split off to form the cause at Pentretygwyn (NPRN 6473), the Cefnarthern congregation moving towards Arminianism, the Pentretygwyn cause towards Calvinism. According to Rees & Thomas (Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru) the cause declined after the split and the chapel was at some point used by the Baptists. In 1772 Cefnarthen and Pentretygwyn were reunified, with a meeting on ministers on August 18th of that year, the expenses for which were underwritten by Pentretygwyn."

William Williams ("Pant-y-celyn," after a farm where he lived), the Welsh Methodist revival hymnodist and preacher (1717-1791), is buried in the churchyard of St. Mary's in Llanfair, but his father John was an elder at Cefn arthen.

Place Map