Llanfair-ar-y-bryn (parish), Carmarthenshire

Gramps ID P0126
Latitude 52.043416
Longitude -3.738516
 
Alternate Names Language Date range in which the name is valid.
English: St Mary's on the hill

Media

Narrative

"LLANVAIR-AR-Y-BRYN (LLAN-FAIR-AR-Y-BRYN), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, higher division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 1/2 a mile (N.E.) from Llandovery, on the turnpike-road to Builth; comprising the townships of Rhandir Abbot, Rhandir Canol, Rhandir Isâv, and Rhandir Uchâv; and containing 1649 inhabitants. . . In the township of Rhandir Abbot are some extensive lead-mines, the property of Earl Cawdor . . . These mines, which are among the principal in South Wales, have at times employed from one to two hundred workmen; but the number is now materially diminished, owing to the long and laborious land-carriage to Llanelly . . . The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and situated in Llandingat, nearly a mile from its own parish, is an ancient edifice, consisting of one large aisle, with a tower . . . There are three places of worship for Independents, and one for Calvinistic Methodists. About 25 children are educated in a day school, which is partly supported by the Earl Cawdor . . . another day school, appertaining to Independents, contains 20 children, who are taught at the expense of their parents; and there are four Sunday schools, in which 220 males and females receive gratuitous instruction." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Place Map

References

  1. Elizabeth Williams [I0347]
  2. Dorothy Lewis [I0409]
  3. Williams Williams [I0127]
  4. Elizabeth Jones [I0113]
  5. David Williams [I0345]
  6. Anne Williams [I0346]
  7. Joshuah Jones [I0110]
  8. Mary Jones [I0114]