Vidal “Bob” Sassoon has kicked his bucket
His heaters lie forlorn upon the floor
The king of Mayfair perms will mould no more
And maidens weep from here to distant Phuket.
He never cut no hair in grey Nantucket
Those frozen coasts he found a dreadful snore
Old Martha’s vineyard was a filthy chore
So west he rode and muttered “[unclear] Phuket.”
I had a killer sestet in mind, but the vino ran out.
- Epitaph of Bernard Fry, surgeon, in St. Mary’s graveyard, Stafford
Resurrectional doggerel for these dark days.
- He would an elegy compose / On maggots squeez’d out of his nose
Samuel Butler on a writer of doggerel.
- The woman with the packet of crisps
Tributes and tribulations.
- Doggerel and the death of democracy
Featuring John Taylor, the Water(man) Poet, Cornelius Cardew, Rick Astley, Luther Vandross, Michael Fassbender and someone else as Macbuff and Macdeath,
- The true origins of an 18th century tomb inscription at Zennor, Penwith, Cornwall
“‘Tis glorious misery to be born a man,” generally taken to refer to a hen-pecked husband, is in fact a misquotation