What would the world have been like had the Lyle’s Golden Syrup tin borne a picture of the rotting carcass of some loins with a swarm of bees?
(Via a lovely guy who seems incredibly shy of the fact that he got it from Wikipedia.)
- Augustine attacks Jerome’s Vulgate for diverging from traditional fucked translations
Here: A certain bishop, one of our brethren, having introduced in the church over which he presides the reading of your version,
- Turismo Rías Baixas rejects an offer to have its appalling promotional materials properly translated for free
Colin‘s letter to the Galicians: Ten years or so ago, I sent a personal letter to the Director of the said Rías
- Is the concept that certain concepts are untranslatable itself untranslatable (FR->EN)?
The Vocabulaire européen des philosophies has now been versioned in English as Dictionary of untranslatables and Spanish as Diccionario de intraducibles.
- The worst translator in the world? “Quoth she, so much I hate this nation, / I’ll damn this author in translation”
The London Magazine, 1734: Verses occasioned by Mr. Budgel’s modest Proposal, in the Daily Post-Boy of Aug. 31. to give the
- Should American-Spanish political interpreters know about Methodism?
In an FT piece a couple of days ago (via) we learn that “As Benoy discovered to its cost, interpreters need