- 2018-03-31 19:38 LdV's mask is of Stefanello Bottarga, a clown in the company of Ganassa aka Naselli
- 2018-03-31 19:35 Lope de Vega & the Italian clown Ganassa attend the wedding of Felipe III in Valencia in 1598 dressed respectively as Carnal & Lent, covered with meat and fish
- 2018-03-31 19:09 I don't sense that the author of the best pop archaeology book I've read suffers from an ego problem https://amzn.to/2E8ykBd
- 2018-03-31 09:25 A Spanish council would have smuggled in a car park under the abbey churchyard https://twitter.com/RevealingBath/status/979612324033191941
- 2018-03-31 08:22 Genetics & "race" - good, simple, gentle piece from David Reich - tho still no explanation for monkey's spectacular achievements in pseudo-Shakespearean poetics https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/opinion/sunday/genetics-race.html
- 2018-03-30 15:35 New blog post: I am the Crippled Demon, the fleas of hell, the inventor of puppets. A half-translation of a list of minor torments by Luis Vélez de Guevara for a day on which the Christian Devil triumphed. http://elorganillero.com/blog/2018/03/30/i-am-the-crippled-demon-the-fleas-of-hell-the-inventor-of-puppets/
- 2018-03-30 14:30 A mate went to see some and ended up putting on the
Khachatur Avetisyan oratorio in memory of the victims of the 1915 genocide
- 2018-03-30 14:30 A mate went to see some and ended up putting on the Khachatur Avetisyan oratorio in memory of the victims of the 1915 genocide
- 2018-03-30 14:28 360º Armenian monasteries https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/explore-armenias-ancient-monasteries-interactive-360-degree-panoramas-180963579/
- 2018-03-30 12:53 (Re mad Russian authors: RT ≠ endorsement)
- 2018-03-30 12:32 Others have but to read an idea of somebody else's, and they can immediately assimilate it and believe that it was a child of their own brain. The "impudence of ignorance," if I may use the expression, is developed to a wonderful extent in such cases
- 2018-03-30 12:32 Some men have but felt some little qualm of kindness towards their fellow-men, and the fact has been quite enough to persuade them that they stand alone in the van of enlightenment and that no one has such humanitarian feelings as they.
- 2018-03-30 12:32 Dostoevsky Idiot: Many of our young women have thought fit to cut their hair short, put on blue spectacles, and call themselves Nihilists. By doing this they have been able to persuade themselves, without further trouble, that they have acquired new convictions of their own.
- 2018-03-30 12:29 John Gray on "hyper-liberalism" - pleasure to have someone intelligent & literate run thru my nightmares I didn't know Yuri Slezkine House of Government https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/john-gray-hyper-liberalism-liberty/
- 2018-03-29 13:00 5.77% of Spaniards living in the UK miss home cooking, sez self-selecting but quite large (n = 2100) poll https://trucoslondres.com/espanoles-londres/
- 2018-03-29 07:53 Hackney Council takes over Chatsworth Road market with promise to improve it with social media and promotion - would have been good if they had had some of this ready in advance to prevent a vacuum https://twitter.com/chatsworthroad/status/978669092050751488
- 2018-03-29 07:39 Rol's has revealed his Top 10 Price Tag Songs The most barrel organ is definitely Half Man Half Biscuit's "£24.99 from Argos" http://histopten.blogspot.com/2018/03/my-top-ten-price-tag-songs.html
- 2018-03-29 07:22 "the less statistically likely a collection of letters is to form a real word in English, the funnier it strikes us" - so obviously untrue
- 2018-03-28 21:28 Victor Borge's Tchaikovsky parody starts like the Bernie Green barrel organ concerto I do, but it ends rather better
- 2018-03-28 20:01 @Transblawg @GermaniaFM There's one too in the new development of Arschlochhampton, because what young people really want is to borrow 20 * salary to get the keys to a rabbit hutch whose name will remind them forever that the council and the developer pretended that some progressive aim was being served
- 2018-03-28 19:45 RT @presentcorrect: Brutalist Easter Bunny.
(Jyväskylä, Finland 1982)
- 2018-03-28 13:19 Neapolitan English from the great Pulcinella Antonio Petito's 1867 parody of Francesca da Rimini, starts 01:51
- 2018-03-28 11:45 Hmm, wine from Rectum, Overijssel, NL http://www.rtvoost.nl/verhalen/mooi-overijssel/246850/hard-werken-voor-een-goede-wijn-uit-rectum
- 2018-03-28 11:17 Plastic bottles & cobras https://twitter.com/PolemicTMM/status/978904681656324096
- 2018-03-27 22:27 RT @jamesmjharrison: France, who are designing and supplying our new Blue British Passports have released the final draft...
- 2018-03-27 22:26 I'm in love with an insect woman
- 2018-03-27 12:33 @jonno50 I've seen names with apostrophes and other diacritics, but never one including a comma, except where titles are being listed
- 2018-03-27 09:39 Would be great to see wet winter aerials of Walthamstow Marsh: on foot you note drainage between the Lammas strips charted by John Coe in 1822, here overlaid on late spring image. Noted in the 1979 survey , but @Walthamsteve @WeLoveE17Marsh anyway http://www.brind.co.uk/leamarsh/1970E17survey/1970E17survey02.html
- 2018-03-26 22:34 Genius: Germany will return Puigdemont in exchange for three hundred more Spanish scientists via @elmundotoday http://www.elmundotoday.com/2018/03/alemania-entregara-a-puigdemont-a-cambio-de-trescientos-cientificos-espanoles-mas/
- 2018-03-26 18:20 Why couldn't the hot dog stop gambling? It was on a roll.
- 2018-03-26 18:19 Captain Noodle says: Why did Jesus give back the donkey he'd borrowed on Ash Wednesday? It was Lent.
- 2018-03-26 14:07 Potcast: Dutch neologism for info leaflet hung up in company toilets
- 2018-03-25 20:36 Puigdemont: Latin millenialist goes to Waterloo, defeated by the Prussians https://twitter.com/Uvejeje/status/977896630560133125
- 2018-03-25 18:40 I can't believe if they were starting again they'd use the same orthography
- 2018-03-25 18:39 Polish would look a whole lot less scary if they only wrote down the consonants they sing. Compare vid/lyrics for ostatnia niedziela
- 2018-03-25 13:41 Hackney roads are better for walking than pavements - no dog$hit, utility cos have higher standards of repair - so trying to figure why all the local dealers & their customers cycle on the latter
- 2018-03-25 12:16 RT @MichaelRosenYes: Cambridge Analytica got rid of all their kitica You won’t find a tiny bitica of incriminating shitica
- 2018-03-25 12:11 Detention of Puigdemont in Kiel raises new Schleswig-Holstein question: legitimacy of German claim to Holstein following annexation by Austria from Denmark in 1864 and then by Prussia from Austria in 1866 #HolsteinIsNotGermany etc etc https://twitter.com/europapress/status/977855735219589120
- 2018-03-25 11:57 UK National Rail Enquiries demonstrates incompetence equal to Spanish passenger rail monopoly Renfe
- 2018-03-25 09:16 Years and sleep are harshly spread - Men get less before they're dead, Yet what's the point in living more If all one does is snooze and snore?
- 2018-03-24 19:02 Before there was hip hop there was hip harp, featuring Dorothy Ashby
- 2018-03-24 08:39 Children Cry for Castoria - Nicolas Slonimsky https://cosmicspy.bandcamp.com/track/children-cry-for-castoria-composers-rendition
- 2018-03-24 08:12 Good to see the Irwin (ed.) compilation Songs in the Key of Z for sale on Bandcamp https://cosmicspy.bandcamp.com/album/songs-in-the-key-of-z-vol-1
- 2018-03-24 08:10 RT @haydenblack: @ChrisMurphyCT Trump: I am the President. Trump: You are the National Security Adviser. Bolton: I am the Walrus. Googooga…
- 2018-03-24 07:32 Senior NHS nurse, on being apprised of his fackup re elderly gent: "It is the Fate of the Gods! I would not have wanted it this way!" Interesting variation on "Blame Labour/the Tories!"
- 2018-03-23 16:26 ben trovato? who cares https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/976932949844221953
- 2018-03-23 16:14 Spend the day impersonating a large elderly black woman for Nation & Self without achieving any sense of self-identification. How confused is that?
- 2018-03-23 08:51 Cool stuff on the genetics of the guys I see up on Stamford Hill. The Yemenis are easy to spot (and hear) but some of the traits in the Eastern European Haredim are harder to figure https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2018/03/22/the-origin-of-the-ashkenazi-jews-in-early-medieval-europe/
- 2018-03-23 08:46 RT @ComfortablySmug: Bezos has a robot speaker in your home listening to you 24/7 but you're worried Zuckerberg will leak your Which Disney…
- 2018-03-22 10:31 Re Jeremy Corbyn's hat: Ilya Glazunov Elderly man with an axe (to grind) (1949). I think Lenin's Russian kartuz < French cartouche, presumably via Prussian military. Bulgarin notes a “little crumpled leather [one], green in colour” in 1829 novel Ivan Ivanovich Vyzhigin
- 2018-03-21 21:08 Clown Core in a portaloo Genius. Via @weirdestband
- 2018-03-21 11:29 RT @ScribeEAE: This bird looks ready to teach semiotics
- 2018-03-21 10:04 Frank Baum’s scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz is essentially the N Italian pajazz, straw undermattress -> clown - German Bajass/Bajazzel - Spanish payaso - A scarre-crowe to make them afraide, as wee vse to deale with little children and with birdes by puppets and strawe-men (1594)
- 2018-03-21 09:25 A new one for me
- 2018-03-21 09:25 A new one for me
- 2018-03-21 09:18 I'm still reeling from the nutter who came up and told me that I shouldn't be doing Tom Lehrer songs https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/976115287991910400
- 2018-03-20 12:26 Oh vocational insulters, think before calling Italians ignoranti come pecorai, ignorant as shepherds: without transhumants bearing libri di pelliccia, pelt books, how would the chivalric romance have been diffused & standard Italian born? #NiceTry
- 2018-03-20 10:07 Probably even more annoying than a neighbour who plays the violin
- 2018-03-20 09:11 Englishman does phonetic transcription of Algerian placenames, Frenchman retains English spelling in French translation, leading to different pronunciation. Fantasy ending: French authorities impose that new pronunciation on the locals http://lughat.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/english-spelling-traces-in-algerian.html
- 2018-03-20 09:06 Octopus hordes attack freestyle five lines game board https://twitter.com/AinonenT/status/976018577630392320
- 2018-03-20 09:04 Apparently the gastronationalists believe that souvlaki is traditional, and traditionally pork-based, rather than a conversion of Turkish lamb shish. Why not take credit for a splendid innovation, & hope the Turks (with perfect environment for acorn-fed pork) will follow suit?
- 2018-03-19 23:46 But why do medieval marginalia major in monkeys where contemporary childishness concentrates on cats? https://twitter.com/JohanOosterman/status/975841612961075200
- 2018-03-19 23:41 Best quote is in episode 4 or 5 re the alleged Rajneesshee plot to poison the water supply with blended beaver
- 2018-03-19 18:07 Will Kemp's 1600 Morris dance to Norwich follows same route to Chelmsford, at which point Kemp goes inland via Braintree. Ogilby shows links from harwich to Norwich along the coast, so I guess that route was less waterlogged by 1675. Drainage projects? http://elorganillero.com/blog/2016/09/24/how-will-kemp-morris-danced-from-london-to-norwich/
- 2018-03-19 18:02 London-Harwich in John Ogilby Britannia 1675, crossing the River Lea at Bow https://www.fulltable.com/vts/m/map/ogilby/mna.htm
- 2018-03-19 13:59 Brilliant Microsoft support experience. Never expected to say that, & across two entities / languages
- 2018-03-18 13:00 4% of CeC voters would never vote CeC https://twitter.com/kikollan/status/975352192101175296
- 2018-03-17 17:12 And custard tart https://twitter.com/Transblawg/status/975056370855759872
- 2018-03-17 11:53 Johann Gottfried Seume (1763-1810), Salafistophobe: Wo man singt, da lass dich ruhig nieder / böse Menschen haben keine Lieder // Find your peace where songs are gaily ringing! / Evil people never cared for singing http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/johann-gottfried-seume-mein-leben-ein-klassiker-von-einem.700.de.html?dram:article_id=413106
- 2018-03-17 01:04 Superb docs by the Way Bros on Netflix re the murderous Rajneeshee New Age cult in Oregon https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/wild-wild-country-is-the-best-documentary-about-a-homic-1823700550
- 2018-03-15 19:26 Who can get me an ebook of Fariña?
- 2018-03-15 18:14 Rol's Top 10 Stephen Hawking songs I like Cake http://histopten.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/my-top-ten-professor-stephen-hawking.html
- 2018-03-15 09:48 Guy on the bus re student loans: I decided to do journalism & since I figured I'd never earn much & never have to pay back much I took the most expensive course I could find & had four golden years.
- 2018-03-15 05:15 Chancellor Laud's Oxford Statutes forbid students from watching actors, rope-dancers or gladiator shows, as well as football and hunting with or without ferrets. And the Puritans still beheaded him, the swine.
- 2018-03-14 22:05 80s, decade of mutants and good trumpeters
- 2018-03-14 19:58 RT @_F_B_G_: Pleased to see that the street sweepers of Manchester take their Biblical exegesis seriously. I will, however, only be employ…
- 2018-03-14 13:29 Why should GPs use the NHS's e-referral service when there is a splendid fax machine sitting in the corner, even if the recipient turned off their machine a while ago? #Hackney @NHSDigital
- 2018-03-13 17:16 Recalls the bitty debate about the origins of the addiction to nonsensical rhyming sound on the part of the psychopathic English glove puppet called Punch & his Eurasian cognates https://twitter.com/improbresearch/status/973184378783322112
- 2018-03-13 13:33 Alexander Pope on translators: the saddest pack of rogues in the world http://laudatortemporisacti.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/the-saddest-pack-of-rogues-in-world.html
- 2018-03-13 13:30 RT @DaveHill: Dodd: "You can tell a joke in Glasgow and people will laugh at it. But in Birmingham, they won't". Parkinson""Why is that?" D…
- 2018-03-11 21:28 If tomorrow at 11:30 on Millbank you see a man in a compression suit with a Russian badge pinned to his left nipple emerge dripping from the Thames, do come and say hello.
- 2018-03-11 21:01 Presentation of the exhibition at Museo ICO in Madrid http://www.fundacionico.es/exposiciones/joaquin-vaquero-palacios-la-belleza-lo-descomunal-asturias-1954-1980/
- 2018-03-11 20:50 5 extraordinary power stations by/with architect/artist Joaquín Vaquero Palacios in Francoist northern Spain I don't know Palacios' politics, but stuff is reminiscent of pre-war non-Nazi Falangism https://www.plataformaarquitectura.cl/cl/889873/joaquin-vaquero-y-la-belleza-de-lo-descomunal?ad_medium=widget&ad_name=navigation-next
- 2018-03-11 17:56 "Believe ON the Lord Jesus Christ," which figures, cos it's the Evangelical Reformed Church (Lauriston Rd) - black rather than Elizabethan Protestant. I guess white evangelicals use the same, & I've heard Muslims say they "believe on Allah." Soon to be the standard construction?
- 2018-03-11 14:37 RT @EffinBirds:
- 2018-03-11 12:50 Bath lift porn
- 2018-03-11 11:27 Nietzsche: O you poor devils in the great cities of world politics, you gifted young men tormented by ambition who consider it your duty to pass some comment on everything that happens and there is always something happening! http://laudatortemporisacti.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/poor-devils.html
- 2018-03-11 09:07 Real value: taking the waste heat from bitcoin mines & growing tomatoes https://twitter.com/PolemicTMM/status/972751820576653313
- 2018-03-10 21:39 I love Louis Jordan, but I'd love even more to hear Darius Dhlomo cover him again. Any recordings out there?
- 2018-03-10 15:58 "Upright piggy-banks": money-laundering oligarchs & Manhattan property https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/super-rich-property-buyers-are-bad-for-nyc/
- 2018-03-10 15:14 Smut Clyde on Punch & Judy A couple of the suggestions are on my wish list https://eusa-riddled.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/thats-way-you-do-it-riddled-book-club.html http://amzn.eu/461Jj7B
- 2018-03-10 13:17 @BL_prints @BLMedieval The bagpipes are very big, though not quite Boschian. Are you sure they're not a Donegal man in fancy dress or a wild haggis?
- 2018-03-09 19:41 Here lies I -
Jonathan Fry -
Killed by a sky -
Rocket in my eye -
- 2018-03-09 17:06 Mary had a little lamb With taties and mint sauce Oh dear my little lamb she cried I'm hungry as a horse
- 2018-03-09 17:06 Maria hæfde lȳtel lamb And snāwhwīt wæs his flēs And swā hwær swā Maria træd Træd þæt lamb eġelēs. http://poemsintranslation.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/song-about-10th-century-english.html
- 2018-03-09 07:53 Maps saying "you are here" are absolutely terrifying. How do they know?! I have put up cameras in several locations to try to identify the agents who write this message on maps just before I get there.
- 2018-03-08 22:00 Revolutionary notion that equal rights shouldn't only be available to Caucasian women of Christian heritage... https://twitter.com/MahmoudianMe/status/971795648562581504
- 2018-03-08 18:11 Carles Puigdemont & Charlemagne http://www.eltriangle.eu/es/notices/2018/01/-krls-contra-krls-10036.php
- 2018-03-08 10:11 Margaret of Antioch is the best St Margaret: swallowed by a dragon but regurgitated when her cross irritated its gut.
- 2018-03-08 07:28 Star Wars & Battleship Potemkin http://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinema-behind-star-wars-battleship-potemkin
- 2018-03-08 06:26 1833 is notable in world lit for two works about bronze men: Pushkin's ode to Peter the Great, Petersburg and Russia, "The bronze horseman," & Cesare Spadaccini's "New and large pasta works with a bronze man, in order to eliminate the abominable custom of kneading with the feet"
- 2018-03-07 21:08 I simply adore the preference of the Albanian-Kosovar mafia for old-school BMWs and Mercs: makes me feel like I'm in a 90s German crime thriller
- 2018-03-07 17:02 I didn't know smol, small and cute. Antonym is tol, big and obnoxious https://twitter.com/Pani_Bufetowa/status/971350018820067329
- 2018-03-07 13:40 Not a great recording, but Emanuel Feuermann was an amazing cellist
- 2018-03-06 22:33 Very moving to see customers coming into @Yorkshire_BS on Eastcheap in the City to say goodbye to staff before the branch closure next week - obviously very fond of them
- 2018-03-06 11:55 [Belch] Pox on you: a round by Purcell http://laudatortemporisacti.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/a-catch-by-henry-purcell.html
- 2018-03-06 11:34 It's something of a contradiction to demand work and liberty https://twitter.com/_Juarma_/status/970962944753364992
- 2018-03-06 07:57 Hemingway trying to talk https://www.mhpbooks.com/you-know-who-had-kind-of-a-funny-way-of-talking-ernest-hemingway-had-kind-of-a-funny-way-of-talking/
- 2018-03-06 06:43 Echit: Ulster Irish for halfassed electronic invoice http://transblawg.eu/2018/03/04/drausen-nur-kaninchen-miscellaneous/#comment-251466
- 2018-03-06 05:48 Why on earth would the Russians bomb Manhattan or London when they use those property markets as money laundries? Detroit maybe
- 2018-03-05 20:37 Doc didn't ask me how much I drink. Felt like I was an adult
- 2018-03-04 19:12 Neumatic thrill, but I wonder what a reconstruction inc context would sound like. I've never sung anything this old - apart from "Come on, you reds" - life for me starts in 1200, when everything starts falling into place http://elorganillero.com/la-compania/repertorio/ https://twitter.com/julianpharrison/status/970362597051719680
- 2018-03-04 13:21 Anyone seen a sound desk stolen from a Hackney church on Friday? https://twitter.com/amyelizgray/status/970250587752357888
- 2018-03-04 12:36 Don't know much about history: school board supervisor's report from ≈ Laura Ingalls' Kansas https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R9WgAAAAMAAJ
- 2018-03-04 09:37 thread https://twitter.com/PaulMMCooper/status/969586286905516033
- 2018-03-04 09:16 Nobbled EU copyright law vs the internet, via @Transblawg https://twitter.com/JosephAValerio/status/970042700572459008
- 2018-03-03 20:21 Brandon beat me to it: a dead umbrella is definitely an unbrella http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=37045
- 2018-03-03 20:20 End of antiques I saw it coming 20 years ago when my Sinti neighbour confessed that his Louis XIV chairs were actually - gasp! - Bulgarian or something. Now can we stop building neo-Georgian? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/style/how-low-will-market-for-antiques-actually-go.html
- 2018-03-03 09:45 I'm trying to figure whether Black Panther is actually worse than Tarzan. Then there's Conan to consider https://blogicarian.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/free-elections-for-wakanda.html
- 2018-03-03 09:23 Swath/swathe: I don't think I know anyone who uses swath with the short a, but OED and probably Guardian seem to think that my long-vowelled swathe marks me out as a northerner/furriner
- 2018-03-02 18:34 I've just launched a replacement train service on the London Overground between Stratford and Richmond using a diesel locomotive I nicked a few years ago in the knowledge that the silly buggers would electrify the line without catering for the odd cold snap
- 2018-03-02 12:02 The birthrate at Fratton (Portsmouth) suggests that "getting off at Fratton" may not be particularly effective
- 2018-03-02 08:29 I'd be perfectly happy if newspaper headlines were article-free and credited to the sub. Boris Johnson as a black woman is obviously Peter Sellers (with Alfred The Grate and his Kings of Collapso, prod. George Martin) in Boiled Bananas and Carrots
- 2018-03-01 21:48 A start: Your Song Tiny Dancer Honky Cat Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Long Time) Crocodile Rock Daniel Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Candle In The Wind Bennie And The Jets Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
- 2018-03-01 21:44 Erdogan has banned 208 songs I am making a list for the UK https://ahvalnews.com/trt/turkish-state-televisions-banned-song-list-revealed
- 2018-03-01 17:49 This bird used a different training tool
- 2018-03-01 17:49 This bird used a different training tool
- 2018-03-01 17:49 Foden's Motorworks & Fred Mortimer playing In A Clock Store, serinette imitation at 01:09
- 2018-03-01 17:20 Why would the British Museum need to name the translator of their editions of Iliad & Odyssey when everyone knows Homer's a fluent English speaker from Springfield? https://twitter.com/Transblawg/status/969223961056825344
- 2018-03-01 07:23 Muy buen artículo de Ricard sobre Quini https://eltranvia48.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/quini-para-la-eternidad.html
- 2018-03-01 07:18 Wild Animals, by Infecticide
Bizarrely, Twitter archive downloads don't include others' replies to your tweets, or tweets to which you reply, e.g.:
/ I say something... and so it's impossible to show tweet trees involving third parties correctly. Until I figure out something smarter I've just indented my replies, & good luck and bon voyage.
// Someone replies
/// I reply to them
- London organ-grinding tweets for October 2017
Lukewarm barrel organ-ish ephemera from Hackney, London and thereabouts.
- Organ-grinding tweets for December
- Organ-grinding tweets for August 2017
The latest barrel organ news from Hackney, London.
- Organ-grinding tweets for January 2018
More sofa-based antics of the Hackney street organist.