An Italian libertarian tells me that she and some friends booked to Burning Man were surprised to land in Solihull. Refugees from London are now rowing up the M6 to Burning Man aka Birmingham, Brighton and then Bath and Bristol having become too expensive, but best British value is still to be found in Boro, particularly now the Sacha Baron Cohen effect (Ctrl-F Kazakhstan) has been priced into the ruins of Grimsby port.
The French are on to us: Mishead Lyrics – What did he said ?
IRQ says that the politician who caused the greatest impression on Felipe González, and on whom he models his vanity hair for photo-ops, was Margaret Thatcher, “la dama del cardado de hierro, o ‘Helmet Hair'”.
- The worst translator in the world? “Quoth she, so much I hate this nation, / I’ll damn this author in translation”
The London Magazine, 1734: Verses occasioned by Mr. Budgel’s modest Proposal, in the Daily Post-Boy of Aug. 31. to give the
- Some Itanglish in a Dryden comedy
One José María Trilladas has apparently been combing the accounts of the black card looters of Caja Madrid and has discovered
- Begad! a dago version of Flashman voices it as if it were BBC Radio 4 Afternoon Drama! With 100 Spanish synonyms for “prostitute” and much other useful information.
Flashman, the first instalment in George MacDonald Fraser’s glorious reinvention of Harry Paget Flashman, the baddy in Tom Brown’s Schooldays, was
- In which the Spanish Inquisition strikes down a translation and saves an English sailor from a fiery fate
Werner Thomas (* 1931) is an accordionist from Switzerland credited with composing a tune popularly known as the “Chicken Dance” or
- A cowboy mouse: Hello you! let me out! and don’t catch me like a trout
Francisco Gabilondo Soler has been denounced for his song, Ratón Vaquero, from the Cri-Cri show (more here), in which a Yankee