- 2018-09-30 20:28 Pub 50/50 elderly Irish/young travellers, music 50/50 Country & Irish/chemical dance, telly Gerrard's top 150 goals for Liverpool, then up gets a Nigerian lady to sing soul classics and everyone goes home
- 2018-09-30 20:26 RT @Pani_Bufetowa: SOURFAUX https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1046485277861191680
- 2018-09-30 12:08 2-room apartment with garden and bike parking in London for under 300K
- 2018-09-30 11:29 Mockneys don't drink Mocne
- 2018-09-30 11:10 If this recycled art on the Lee Navigation under the A12 is stuck to the pillars with superglue, will the road collapse when it is removed?
- 2018-09-29 21:55 I'm in Boak & Bailey! https://boakandbailey.com/2018/09/news-nuggets-longreads-29-september-2018-runcorn-rochefort-rules-of-the-tavern/ https://twitter.com/justinjerez/status/1046141274145902593
- 2018-09-29 12:54 Gmail still works OK on the HTML view http://mail.google.com/?ui=html
- 2018-09-29 12:27 Young guy on Millfields Rd with a loud speaker backpack playing "You gonna be my bitch, girl, / You gonna suck my dick, girl." Not everyone gets a "Good morning."
- 2018-09-29 11:13 Peter O'Toole's best-of Jeffrey Bernard is one of the funniest things I've seen - thought I would die of laughter at several points
- 2018-09-29 08:56 The Guardian thinks that this boss-employee relationship was exceptional
- 2018-09-29 08:55 Poor old Albion, sans 4 of 6 letters. Though an early Lauriston Road shopper wrote Fortran for Kodak research, even he can't tell me if I will ever see Roger the silversmith again.
- 2018-09-29 08:37 Diamond Geezer went to Salisbury He does get about. http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2018/09/day-trip-to-salisbury.html
- 2018-09-28 20:55 Great unease amongst the roadmen at Well St/Morning Lane: does the drone hovering overhead belong to the feds or to a gunman?
- 2018-09-28 20:51 RT @SteveStuWill: Sex differences in hospital visits due to wall punching http://qz.com/582720/americas-most-prolific-wall-punchers-charted/
- 2018-09-28 16:17 Ah, Moravia
- 2018-09-28 15:39 How to get drinkable cask in pubs http://zythophile.co.uk/2018/09/28/why-nearly-50-years-after-the-birth-of-camra-can-i-still-not-be-guaranteed-a-decent-pint-of-cask-beer-in-most-pubs/
- 2018-09-28 12:28 Just break the window, mate, there's no one around
- 2018-09-28 09:34 Drinking & driving on the Regent's Canal near the City Road Basin. Dunno the English term, & so long since I've been to Amsterdam that can't remember the Dutch - tried borrelbootje, but nope. Chinese tourists prefer to walk along to Broadway Market.
- 2018-09-28 09:18 The site also has quite a lot of monkey songs https://monologues.co.uk/search/search.pl?Terms=monkey&submit=%3C%3C%3C%3C%3C+Search+Site+%3E%3E%3E%3E%3E
- 2018-09-28 09:13 Full text
Peter Sellers parody - Boiled Bananas & Carrots https://monologues.co.uk/musichall/Songs-B/Boiled-Beef-and-Carrotts.htm
- 2018-09-28 09:12 Friday doggerel ex the eastern oracle: Boiled beef & carrots * 2 That's the stuff for your 'darby-kel' Makes you fat & it keeps you well Don't live like vegetarians, on the stuff they give to parrots From morn till night, blow out your kite On boiled beef & carrots.
- 2018-09-27 12:40 BLOG: Hell in Cornwall, and Brisola the organ-grinder from Brisola: two favourite anecdotes from Maisie & Evelyn Radford’s musical mission to the Cornish and thence to the English. http://elorganillero.com/blog/2018/09/27/hell-in-cornwall-and-brisola-the-organ-grinder-from-brisola/
- 2018-09-27 09:17 So is the Cosmopolitan Tess Holliday cover a return to Etruscan values? https://laudatortemporisacti.blogspot.com/2018/09/fat-men-of-ancient-times.html
- 2018-09-27 09:05 A slightly more professional example
- 2018-09-27 09:03 Extraordinary how archaic he sounds compared with the neighbours
- 2018-09-27 09:05 A slightly more professional example
- 2018-09-27 08:59 Isle of Sheppey's most famous wigger on speaking Jamaican
- 2018-09-27 08:37 Slaves, "Girl Fight" Rol has more sub-30" songs
- 2018-09-27 07:48 Thread. Personal fave: C18th London court built sans roof & 3 walls to prevent jail fever (epidemic typhus). Tragic memory of 1930s municipal dark woods & gloom of Clerkenwell CC on Duncan Street (now flats) where failed to stay eviction of co-squatters -> death of baby upstairs https://twitter.com/JackHead95/status/1045032834338099201
- 2018-09-26 08:41 Still curious to know the banner under which this couple wages war.
- 2018-09-25 21:02 CAT BOSS, Hackney Wick/dick
- 2018-09-25 18:38 Google: "People also ask: What do you call someone from Czech?"
- 2018-09-25 15:40 @Transblawg I have been instructed to drink more at lunchtime. This afternoon has been an utter disaster.
- 2018-09-25 15:37 BLOG: “Organ grinders to sleep in the wash house”: How a mass-produced 1960s joke sign for bars and pubs became proof of historical authenticity before being censured as a hate crime against tinkers and thinkers (or organ-grinders, as we are often known). http://elorganillero.com/blog/2018/09/25/organ-grinders-to-sleep-in-the-wash-house/
- 2018-09-25 14:26 Before Germans voted for a party dedicated to killing off the literates and the Nobels. https://twitter.com/mtwirth/status/1044591535633965057
- 2018-09-25 08:44 Furtwängler & the LPO, 1948, presumably Kingsway Hall, demolished 20 years ago: end of 4th mvt of Brahms 4, starting with the trombone chorale, featuring George Maxted
- 2018-09-25 07:15 RT @m_yosry2012: Stupid ears!
- 2018-09-24 21:33 RT @LowEbbs: This will be dismissed as Project Ferret https://twitter.com/owen_g/status/1044245804314230785
- 2018-09-24 20:29 Wahahahahaha https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1043987634903814145
- 2018-09-24 20:27 .@TheSun piece on Waltham Forest gang murders omits the many great things going on in the borough, e.g. the fact that Walthamstow High Street now has two Lidls https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7335632/murder-drugs-and-warfare-how-one-london-road-has-become-a-bloody-battleground-between-warring-gangs/
- 2018-09-24 17:56 RT @northumbriana: This is great: Peter Frankenfeld's 'Wetterkarte' tour of German accents from 1973. Note how Königsberg and Breslau are s…
- 2018-09-24 10:21 Isn't it more extraordinary and absurd that (Spanish) politicians feel the need for a degree on their CV than that they obtain such bits of paper through corruption and plagiarism?
- 2018-09-24 10:16 Bad poetry rap: "Levi Lajuan Gibbs, 18, Covington, ... possession of firearm or knife during commission of or attempt to commit certain rimes" (Just back from a mission to the still unchallenged Wesleyan doggerelists) https://laudatortemporisacti.blogspot.com/2018/09/is-bad-poetry-now-crime.html
- 2018-09-20 13:17 Sons of Anarchy (embiggen), Stroud, near Petersfield
- 2018-09-20 11:55 Important omission from Lol's top 10 on-and-on songs : 1st TV ad to penetrate my thick head: Ariston and on and on http://histopten.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-top-ten-songs-that-go-on-and-on.html
- 2018-09-20 08:40 A small person compares my reading style to Johnny 5's, with the minor distinction that Johnny understands it. Here with Chuck McGill from Better Call Saul
- 2018-09-20 08:20 I didn't know that Infamy was one of Denis Norden's. What a lovely man, and from just round the corner, on Mare Street. But whence his second name, Mostyn?
- 2018-09-19 14:32 RT @Transblawg: Pages from a photobook on dogs I did in 2009
- 2018-09-19 11:33 @AndrewHammel1 Whatever happened to the Berliner who, years ago, used to take $hitty pictures of turds and convert them into postcards?
- 2018-09-19 09:47 Our Lord sent Jesus Christ to Earth to learn English. https://twitter.com/elmundotoday/status/1042343648233508866
- 2018-09-19 09:46 Thackeray, Vanity Fair, resolves the great multi-gender, personal-pronoun debate: A person can't help their birth.
- 2018-09-19 07:43 Frank Abagnale tells his version https://liberalengland.blogspot.com/2018/09/watch-talk-by-real-frank-abagnale.html
- 2018-09-19 07:34 Someone on Today re social media: YouTube has as many followers as Islam
- 2018-09-19 07:33 Re the destruction of Shakespeare's mulberry by Gastrell: http://theshakespeareblog.com/2013/08/shakespeares-mulberries/
- 2018-09-19 07:30 Developers Crest Nicholson's demolition of Birds Eye HQ at Walton Court seems to be attracting less attention than their arboricide of the Bethnal Green mulberry. Check the video https://c20society.org.uk/news/c20-society-seeks-legal-advice-in-bid-to-halt-demolition-of-former-birds-eye-hq/
- 2018-09-18 18:14 No one can sleep like me in motorised transport, but I have yet to master the pub
- 2018-09-18 18:06 Despite all the digital templates and ISO certificates and Ofsted outstandings, Hackney public typography has surely never been this random
- 2018-09-18 15:03 Hackney Council, still in utter disarray in the Stoke Newington road-closure/Church Street & William Patten pollution show https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2018/09/18/road-closures-toxic-school-run-dangers-revealed/
- 2018-09-18 09:07 Chinese Greensleeves. Kitsch punk. https://twitter.com/Transblawg/status/1041966394114564096
- 2018-09-18 08:12 It's raining it's pouring: terror in Ipswich Shame their vid doesn't work http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/nursery-rhyme-near-a12-scaring-residents-1-5690152
- 2018-09-18 06:28 Can’t Hold Waffles, Studies for Piano and Burning Kitchen Appliances Conlon Nancarrow on his day off https://weirdestbandintheworld.com/2018/09/17/weird-of-the-day-cant-hold-waffles-spare-change-chicken-incident/
- 2018-09-17 12:03 Today's menu (ex St Senara, Zennor)
- 2018-09-17 07:47 Norman's backing tape recalls the beginning of the synth era. He tried this act with geese before swapping to budgies. https://twitter.com/ibexsalad/status/1041579213688594432
- 2018-09-17 06:26 Jesus' wife and the Florida pornographer https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-unbelievable-tale-of-jesus-wife/485573/
- 2018-09-16 18:40 Matt's worth every penny
- 2018-09-16 18:08 It would be so nice to be able to push half a dozen screaming children round some allotments on an old market trolley every weekend.
- 2018-09-16 18:07 RT @Transblawg: ‘Romford .. ain't what it used to be….. In my day you only ever murdered someone if they truly deserved it, and you always…
- 2018-09-16 09:42 Re a Syrian mathematician friend who was injured a while ago in a wedding-fire accident: how did people in those parts celebrate before the invention of gunpowder? by throwing stones in the direction of the deity?
- 2018-09-15 15:01 The Romanian twins who used to hang around downtown Barcelona make more sense now I've seen Ricky Berwick
- 2018-09-15 14:04 Another favourite modern Dutch military eggcorn: kunstof (enabling material) for kunststof (synthetic material)
- 2018-09-15 13:57 In pre-literate days, thought Dutch winter dish stamppot, pound-pot, was stampot, tribal pot, cos made in huge cauldrons for troops. But not all is written: can't find what RG, Dutch Low Saxon speaker, called stampot molsch (mulch) = last ditch use of veg on verge of putrefaction
- 2018-09-15 10:38 ( "Un itst iz gekumen di libe tsayt Di zolst mir zogn yo tsi neyn." "Tsi libst mikh yo, tsi di libst mikh nit mayne eltern zey viln dikh nit." )
- 2018-09-15 10:38 Yiddish ballad of forbidden love between a Goy & a Yid, retranslated: "And now is come the time of love: Say unto me but yea or nay." "Lov'st thou me yea, or lov'st me nay, We must now part, my parents say." Whereupon he shoots her. https://yiddishsong.wordpress.com/2018/09/14/erev-yonkiper-nokhn-halbn-tog-performed-by-yankl-goldman/
- 2018-09-15 10:08 The Great Storm of 1630 Much mischief by these Hail-Stones there was done, For in St Leonard Shoreditch there was one Who as he was was a dressing Hemp, ’tis said, All on a sudden he was stricken dead. http://spitalfieldslife.com/2018/09/15/a-strange-storm-in-shoreditch/
- 2018-09-15 10:02 RT @diamondgeezer: Total cost of all the featured clothes and accessories in today's @guardian fashion supplement: £202,699
- 2018-09-15 06:37 So what's all the fuss about Trump's wall when we romanticise old ones of similar intent? https://twitter.com/ByzantineLegacy/status/1040507077880426496
- 2018-09-15 06:15 Can't believe I'd never seen Withnail & I: genius.
- 2018-09-15 05:59 It's neither scone nor scon, it's bun, pronounced bum. Now booger off and leave me in peace.
- 2018-09-14 15:35 "The more taps on the bar the worse the quality of the beer. " https://edsbeer.blogspot.com/2018/09/draught-beer-quality.html
- 2018-09-14 09:23 3 little pigs met a Chupa Chup
- 2018-09-14 09:14 My favourite bit of Humphrey Jennings' brilliant Spare Time (1939): the Mancunian carnival kazoo band with the infant Britannia, cutting away to real lions
- 2018-09-14 07:58 RT @fen_ken: "We visited the island of Lindisfarne as tourists. We just wanted to see the architecture and the illuminated manuscripts" #do…
- 2018-09-14 07:55 Dullest film I have ever seen, by far, courtesy of the G Institut.
- 2018-09-12 17:45 "Nazis made me work Dalston church organ bellows" Roughly the same story ran a couple of years ago. It's often said that the hospital only served German-speakers, but that was never true. Image is Times 1861 http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/heritage/pensioner-shares-memories-of-dalston-s-strict-german-orphanage-1-5692560
- 2018-09-12 09:41 They're slowly edging towards my 1997-ish Dutch plan to sequester carbon and pay unemployed Limburg miners to bury it in pits. https://twitter.com/royalsociety/status/1039801685080780800
- 2018-09-12 08:05 "Whisper, Tracy, there's people trying to sleep." "I CAN'T WHISPER, I'M DRUNK!" (In mobile SMS drafts, so presumably on a train or plane.)
- 2018-09-11 09:34 Kevin Meayers makes Gavioli-style fairground organs out in Chesham, with perforated books, in fashion between barrels and MIDI. More from Bucks: http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2018/09/postcards-from-cheshamamersham.html https://twitter.com/diamondgeezer/status/1038755838360543232
- 2018-09-11 07:41 Re knuckle-cracking on one hand for 50 years to investigate relationship with arthritis: not sure where this leaves the friend who is applying face cream to one side to test dermatological benefits https://twitter.com/KorayTascilar/status/1039274172407537664
- 2018-09-10 11:43
- 2018-09-09 11:30 RT @Transblawg:
- 2018-09-08 19:09 Heard good things about a certain behijabbed, Sudanese Mrs Sani, & now hoping that, since Islam recognises Noah, she will name one of her offspring after his second son, Ham.
- 2018-09-08 11:02 From Jerry Hanrahan, on the 51½th parallel at West Drayton:
I'm writing this from Heaven, here I dwell with God above
Here there's no more tears of sadness just eternal love
Spanish gypsy tombs often feature boxing effigies, but there's more poetry here http://lndn.blogspot.com/2018_08_01_archive.html#4330096250062499914
- 2018-09-07 17:04 BLOG: Burt Reynolds, the source for George Best’s account of what he did with his money? With some Arturo Barea about the railway Reynolds was filming on. http://elorganillero.com/blog/2018/09/07/burt-reynolds-the-source-for-george-bests-account-of-what-he-did-with-his-money/
- 2018-09-07 16:27 1940-1 annual report from the Dutch central bank praising progress over the past year towards achieving a European single market, & noting that "negotiations" with other countries are still underway https://www.dnb.nl/binaries/1940-1941_Verslag%20van%20De%20Nederlandsche%20Bank%20N.V.%20over%20het%20boekjaar%201940-1941_tcm46-354183.PDF?2017102810
- 2018-09-07 12:08 @tombcn https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a22747750/cockwomble-there-is-a-crisis-in-british-swearing/
- 2018-09-07 11:09 Helpful Ofcom guide to causing offence Disappointed that it doesn't include "mixed-race", which suggests that we do not all belong to one species https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0023/91625/OfcomQRG-AOC.pdf
- 2018-09-07 09:35 The "Your Tweet archive"/"Request your archive" feature on Twitter appears to have stopped working (6 days since request). Is the end near? @TwitterSupport
- 2018-09-06 17:15 Algerian burgundy, The Times, 1957. You can tell it's not hipster-drunk because it's pretty cheap.
- 2018-09-06 08:11 Will #hillfortwednesday consider the Palatine Hill for inclusion, or do Roman hilltop power bases not count?
- 2018-09-06 07:58 Novichok threat to Bow tourism? What a strange world. https://twitter.com/Transblawg/status/1037601137740980226
- 2018-09-06 07:53 Rotterdam-Jewish revue star Heintje Davids (1888-1975), sister of the great Louis Davids, converts herself into Al Jolson
- 2018-09-05 14:35 RT @IntarchEditor: Here's another lovely lucky dip for #HillfortsWednesday Pentre Camp, Llanfair Caereinion (Image: Crown Copyright RCAHM…
- 2018-09-05 10:03 Unrhymed Limericks There was a young lady called Dawes, Went out to a dance without gloves; Her ma said: “Amelia! Should anyone dance with you, He’ll take you for one of them actresses.” https://www.futilitycloset.com/2018/09/05/unrhymed-limericks/
- 2018-09-05 10:00 Increase in the number of hamsters who believe that the wheel is flat. https://twitter.com/elmundotoday/status/1037266725811703808
- 2018-09-05 08:15 This mummer's costume is doing the rounds again, & only the devil knows why none of the retweeters say where they found it (Philly Museum of Art) or where it's from (Yorkshire < Italy?). http://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/306896.html?mulR=29184%7C1
- 2018-09-05 08:09 Like the old thing about dances starting out slow & obscure and and gaining pace & popularity over the years to a point where they are abandoned and then rediscovered by some slow and obscure soul. War films should be watched double speed, with subtitles, but that may change. https://twitter.com/WFMU/status/1037029484396994561
- 2018-09-05 08:03 Hackney business owners against immigration https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2018/09/04/bame-business-owners-slam-council-seeming-not-care-about-them/
- 2018-09-04 09:16 Thomas Houghton/Ellen Crane, The knife-grinder of Caen (1882), from the BL. Ingenious use of a dog, new to me, but portability seems to be an issue, unless the contraption morphs, Power-Ranger-like, into a dog-drawn cart.
- 2018-09-04 09:08 The bit in Vanity Fair beginning "All that day from morning until past sunset, the cannon never ceased to roar" is one of the most remarkable scenes in any book, but ITV knows that every historical drama requires an FX battle, so they corrected Thackeray & filmed Waterloo. LMAO
- 2018-09-04 09:01 @Transblawg @wef I think they just made that up. I get my ben trovato fix from the Daily Mail, which also has pictures.
- 2018-09-04 06:43 Did the left destroy our bandstands? https://liberalengland.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-fight-to-save-liverpools.html
- 2018-09-04 06:37 The English R. I didn't even know the Ben Jonson quote https://blogicarian.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-historical-english-r.html
- 2018-09-04 06:32 On long bus commutes to school https://salmonetesyanonosquedan.blogspot.com/2018/09/un-grito-de-amor-para-galicia.html
- 2018-09-03 17:16 What is the point of me now?
- 2018-09-03 15:56 RT @rshotton: Charlie Munger uses this anecdote to warn of confusing chauffeur knowledge (knowledge from people who have learned to put on…
- 2018-09-03 13:38 Someone needs to document the RADA and SWP (North London Poly) dialects of Cockney before their speakers sink into cannabic senility.
- 2018-09-03 11:13 Localization: Geraint Thomas disqualified from Tour of Britain after his bicycle is found to have been stolen from TfL's Boris Bikes scheme https://twitter.com/elpaissemanal/status/1036569742675460096
- 2018-09-03 11:09 2 centuries after Waterloo, UK gov about to launch cunning scheme to transport bytes by carrier pigeon from Belgium to London: superfast birdband
- 2018-09-03 10:06 The Dentist on Chatsworth Road doesn't fix mandibular fractures. Whoever put the window in without addressing the structure may shortly discover that it provides more light than intended.
- 2018-09-03 08:37 If you go down in the woods on Sundays, you're sure to find that nocturnal raves and matutinal after parties have shifted marginally to allow the cops to feign enforcement success. Bummer for rough sleepers & other wildlife on/at Walthamstow Marsh/Lea Bridge/Hackney Marsh
- 2018-09-02 15:04 RT @AliCatterall: THREAD Heard a brilliant anecdote in the pub last night about Tom Robinson, which may be a little garbled, but is essenti…
- 2018-09-02 12:28 RT @Transblawg: Three wise hedgehogs. You will have heard of the three wise monkeys, but these were new to me.
- 2018-09-02 12:28 How many of the Islamist massacres in West Africa are actually committed by atheists no longer able to bear their evangelical neighbours' new PA? Pleasures of Hackney
- 2018-09-01 19:40 Exactly what military bands aren't meant to do. https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1035547822748315649
Bizarrely, Twitter archive downloads don't include others' replies to your tweets, or tweets to which you reply, e.g.:
/ I say something... and so it's impossible to show tweet trees involving third parties correctly. Until I figure out something smarter I've just indented my replies, & good luck and bon voyage.
// Someone replies
/// I reply to them
- The Singing Organ-Grinder’s tweets for October
- July tweets from London’s Singing Organ-Grinder
- August’s tweets from London’s Singing Organ-Grinder
Bit late. Twitter trouble. Apologies for any distress caused. Money-back guarantee applies.
- Singing Organ-Grinder tweets for April
Cranking it up along the River Lea.
- London organ-grinder tweets for September 2017
Barrel/street organ stuff.